Monday, January 1, 2007

Martyr Saddam

The whole Saddam case was as botched as the case for war. First his trial took too long and did not seem orderly. Then his future trials are canceled. Then his year-end execution is rushed in like someone trying to beat tax day at the post office.

But I was shocked flying through O’Hare yesterday to see the broadcast and rebroadcast of Saddam’s execution on some grainy hidden camera. Sure he was an awful person, but give him some respect in his final moments instead of rubbing it in. It’s this type of insensitivity that ruins our image outside and captivates/satisfies the mainstream within our borders.

Should we be proud as Americans to execute Saddam? I don’t feel that way.

This following article paints a very human picture of the man post-Iraq. Some parts funny, some sad. I only clicked the link because Google-News told me Gore Vidal wrote it, but I'm not so sure about that now.

Web Link

No comments: